Clean Mind, Clean Body: The Surprising Link Between Hygiene and Mental Health
There is a clear link between hygiene and mental health. Mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and sensory processing disorders can impact personal hygiene, which can lead to feelings of shame and social isolation. Maintaining good personal hygiene is important not just for physical health, but also for mental health. Good hygiene practices can do wonders in improving mental well-being.
Good hygiene practices can be beneficial in numerous ways like:
- Reduces stress and anxiety- When people are anxious or stressed, they may neglect their personal hygiene. However, this neglect can lead to infections, which can further add to stress and anxiety. Good hygiene practices, on the other hand, can help reduce stress and anxiety by making people feel clean and refreshed.
- Boost self-esteem - Poor hygiene could lead to body odour, bad breath, and a generally unkempt appearance. This can make people feel self-conscious and embarrassed, which can lead to a decrease in self-esteem. On the other hand, good hygiene practices can make people feel confident and good about themselves. When people feel good about themselves, they are more likely to feel positive.
- Improves social life: Poor hygiene can lead to social isolation and loneliness. People may avoid social situations or be shunned by others because of their bad hygiene. On the other hand, good hygiene practices can help people feel confident and comfortable in social situations.
- Promotes better sleep: Poor hygiene can affect sleep by causing discomfort and skin irritation. Good hygiene practices, such as taking a warm shower before bed, can promote better sleep. Good sleep can make you feel refreshed and prepare you to tackle the day ahead.
- Helps manage depression: Depression can lead to neglect of personal hygiene. However, taking care of oneself through good hygiene practices can help in managing depression.
Good hygiene practices are important not just for physical health, but also for mental health. By taking care of oneself through good hygiene practices, people can improve their self-esteem, reduce stress and anxiety, improve their social life, manage depression, and promote better sleep. So, make sure to prioritise your personal hygiene and reap the mental health benefits.